To those of you have already been by the CCG farm stand this week and were lucky enough to get some delicious purple mizuna, you may be wondering what in the world it is and what to do with it. Good news, purple mizuna is not only great tasting but great for you too!
Coming from the Asian Green family mizuna has a slightly spicy taste similar to mustard greens, yum. Loaded with Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Folic Acid and cancer preventing antioxidants, mizuna joins the rest of the leafy greens as a nutrtional powerhouse.
Try your purple mizuna in a salad or in a stir fry!
Purple Mizuna and Soba Noodle Salad
· 2 cups chopped mizuna
· 2 cups carrots, sliced diagonally
· ½ cup radishes, thinly sliced
· 4 thinly sliced scallions
· 2 cups cooked soba noodles
· 1 tbsp sesame oil
· 1 tsp ground ginger
· 1 clove minced garlic
· 2 tbsp soy sauce
· 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- In a large bowl combine the mizuna, carrots, radishes, scallions and noodles.
- In a seperate bowl, add the sesame oil, ginger, garlic and soy sauce. Whisk together and pour over the noodle mix.
- Top with sesame seeds and enjoy!
Farm Fresh Mizuna Salad
-3/4 pounds mixed greens ( mizuna, spinach, arugula, chard)
-1/2 tbsp finely chopped shallot
-1 tbsp Champagne vinegar
-2 tbsp extra virgen olive oil
-salt and pepper to taste
-Whisk together the vinegar, oil and shallot.
-Add greens and toss together, Enjoy!
Try adding chicken or fish to make this a great meal!
Let us know what you did with your Purple Mizuna at SpencerandTifani@createcommongood.org